Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tool #3

Copyright & Fair Use: I thought it was very interesting how fair use has everything to do with the nature of the use of materials, the purpose and the amount of use and effect on potential markets. Transformativeness add value & purpose to what I'm using the copyrighted material for, but documentation must be used to give credit to the original sources.


I found this example on the site:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/9-a.html

 "Commentary and Criticism:
If you are commenting upon or critiquing a copyrighted work -- for instance, writing a book review -- fair use principles allow you to reproduce some of the work to achieve your purposes. Some examples of commentary and criticism include:

* quoting a few lines from a Bob Dylan song in a music review
* summarizing and quoting from a medical article on prostate cancer in a news report
* copying a few paragraphs from a news article for use by a teacher or student in a lesson, or
 * copying a portion of a Sports Illustrated magazine article for use in a related court case.

 The underlying rationale of this rule is that the public reaps benefits from your review, which is enhanced by including some of the copyrighted material. Additional examples of commentary or criticism are provided in the examples of fair use cases."

Dropbox:
Now that I've created a writing folder in my dropbox, in which I downloaded several valuable writing flipcharts and my students can access those flipcharts from any device with capability to open ActivInspire or any other files I add to my dropbox account. So much easier and efficient than having to email files to myself and save onto each of the student devices. Fabulous idea!!

No comments:

Post a Comment